Monday, May 10, 2010

Project 365 - Week 18

You will find that food and my stomach run as a common thread throughout this week. You may not want to read this if you're hungry.



5/2/10 Sunday: A miracle happened the day before and I was able to enjoy the results of it this morning as I looked down from my bedroom and bathroom windows. Yesterday we bought 8 plants from the nursery. That wasn't the miracle. I could buy plants anytime. I like buying plants, seedlings, or seeds all the time. But here is where the miracle comes in. They were all, count them 8 plants, were actually planted just a few short hours after they purchase instead of the few short years that it usually takes. . . that is provided they don't die before then. I know you can't see them very well in the picture but that is what it looked like from my bedroom. The splash of color out there against the otherwise drab gray background made me smile. In case you were wondering what you're looking at, it is 6 kangaroo paw plants, three red and three orange. What? Oh, I said I bought eight plants and told you of only six plants being planted. You want to know what the other two plants were? One was oregano and I bought another cilantro plant for my herb garden. My first cilantro plant has gone all woody. Its like it goes woody after I cut it for eating. Does anyone out there know if I'm cutting it wrong or do you just have to keep replanting all the time in order to have those nice cilantro leaves.?



5/3/10 Monday: OK. I come home from an 8 hour work day. This is the beginnings of a somewhat stressful week because we are scheduled for our state audit on Thursday. When I get home I don't feel like doing anything but eating dinner because I am starving! Thankfully, this was one of those few days that I had an idea of what to fix for dinner. I hate cooking when I don't know what to cook. You open the refrigerator hoping that something will jump out at you and say fix me and dinner's on in a blink of an eye.

Anyway, Pasta MacArthur was in my mind and I even happened to have all the ingredients. I fixed it up and just as I was getting it ready to serve onto plates the doorbell rings. I was so not nice and said, "Don't answer that! Let's eat!" My Sweet Pea says, "I wonder who that is?" Well, if you don't answer it you won't know so she had to answer. I could tell from the kitchen by the expression in her voice and the question, "What are you doing here?" that she was surprised by the visitor(s). I still did not know who was there and I'm wishing I could eat. I was actually going to throw some of that my pasta on my plate and duck into a corner of the kitchen just in case whoever stepped into the entry wouldn't see me. Sometimes I can be like that. My stomach makes me do it. I don't know why I was so hungry. Maybe I missed one of my breakfasts or snacks during the day.

Anyway, before I could get the food on my plate I see the heads of the missionaries coming in the door. Guess what? They're here for their dinner appointment. Lovely. They ended up setting the table; getting the tablecloth on along with plates, silverware, glasses and water pitcher. While My Sweet Pea directed that part of the details I silently cursed My Boy for setting up the appointment and not being here to prepare the dinner, for not telling anyone he set up the appointment, panicking about whether or not there was enough food, stressing over cooking something I was sure the missionaries would find weird vowing to never come back if I was the one cooking. You see, whenever I cook for My Mann and me I do things my way. I do things my way a lot. I'm pretty spoiled that way. Did I just say that? Well, it must be true. My sister calls me "The Queen."

Back to my fretting over dinner. For instance, I use rice pasta instead of regular pasta. I'm a Type O and wheat and corn products are not my friends. I love Feta cheese so that finds its way into lots of my meals. I also add non traditional ingredients like marinated artichoke hearts into dishes. That's just the kind of cook I am. I just can't help it. Well, I guess I could help it if I wanted to because I've controlled myself in the past but this is now and when you get older you change; you're stubborn, odd, self becomes more prominent. And I've been finding that self rearing its head a lot more often as of late. I am getting older after all. Over a half century old. How depressing. I'm regressing again.

It all turned out good. we ended up having enough food, but no dessert. According to My Sweet Pea it was like the fishes and the loaves; we even had leftovers. And bless the hearts, not of the artichokes, but of those missionaries. Their mama's have taught them well. One of those dear boys even asked for the recipe.




5/4/10 Tuesday: This is our night time hummingbird, Rufus. A fun little bird that lives now in our backyard. It's fun to watch Rufus change colors from blue to purple, to red to green then to blue again. And it's solar powered. You should get a Rufus, too. I'm even thinking of getting another for the dark corner of our front yard.



5/5/10 Wednesday: Two wonderful ladies showed up to the office today. They are the owners of the company we use for your reporting system to the State. They have the best personal relations and their company is the best!
Always there for us. They aren't the big "They" void in cyberspace.



5/6/10 Thursday: This is the most beautiful thing I've seen today. The lovely shades of green and red lettuce. The striking shade of orange against the greens. And they're all organically homegrown. Our neighbor shared their bounty.

The auditor came this afternoon to check up on my reports and to make sure that all was in order. That is such a grueling, nerve wracking thing. Just before you check and re-check to make sure that all is perfect. Ha! Nothing is ever perfect so you pray that it is perfect enough to pass the auditor's scrutiny. We passed with flying colors. He said we do our students right. Hallelujah, it's over.




5/7/10 Friday: I had a surprise visit from My Boy at work. I think he is trying to make up to me. It worked for part of his big over-site. He came to the office in a dress shirt and tie to bring me a bouquet of flowers and to take me to lunch. I am so bummed that I didn't get a picture of him bringing those flowers. . . that he cut from our yard. But, that's OK! I don't care that they were from my rose bushes and Spanish Broom. Actually, I'm glad that he cut them and brought them to my office. I've been wanting to do that all week but just never got around to it.



5/8/10 Saturday: It's been a while since I've had any of these puppies mostly because I'm a Type O and potatoes are not my friend, either. But, very occasionally I hang out with my bad group of old friends and they were pretty good. Maybe because I was so hungry they tasted good. Fast food and restaurant food hasn't been that appetizing lately. I started to get hungry in the middle of seeing Ghostwriter at the $3 theater. I forgot to have lunch before going. The movie was very interesting, don't think I'd buy it, but interesting still the same.

May you all have a good week.
Ciao y baci mi amicos
TTFN

1 comment:

  1. :o) So glad the audit went well!

    Hey, about your cilantro....don't cut it too quickly when it goes all woody. It's supposed to do that. Then you will see seeds forming. Those are coriander seeds. If you like that flavoring, go ahead and pick them! After THAT, they are dead, and it's time to start over.

    In other news, Jake got me the most gorgeous orchid for Mother's Day, so now I have two. Yay me! One blooms a beautiful light green, and his is lavender/purple with white tips. I'll send pics, and of my little patio garden once I get it established. Sending my love and congratulations on another audit down. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete