Friday, September 3, 2010

Today I learned - Sept. 2, 2010



A co-worker sent me an email that really didn't have to do anything with work.  In that email there was a link that I click and it took me to an old Red Skelton skit.  For those who are too young to know who Red Skelton is you sadly have missed out on an important part of American history.  He was on TV when TV programming was good even though there were only 6 channels to choose from.

Anyway, I clicked on the link and he was talking about the United States.  How it was 48 states separate groups that had come together united for a common reason.  Now, you and I know there are 50 states in the United States of America.  Red Skelton knows that as well.  He explains afterward why he said 48 states but I am not a patient person.  I couldn't wait for the whole thing to play out.  I had to stop the video and find out when the last two states received statehood so I could rest and finish watching the video.

That's when I learned something new.


Alaska and Hawaii received their statehood in the same year.  Within 7.5 months of each other.


Alaska received its statehood January 3, 1959.  Hawaii received its on August 21, 1959. Two states so different from each other, on two different ends of the climate spectrum and share the same statehood year.  I would like to one day see the northern lights in Alaska and go to the rim of the volcano in Hawaii.  

Ciao y baci mis amicos 

No comments:

Post a Comment