Monday, September 6, 2010

What I've Learned - Sept. 5, 2010



Today I've had a very interesting day of learning.  The first lesson was a fun fact.  I learned that today, Sept. 5, is Jessie James' birthday.  A bit of American history.

The other lesson I learned is a lesson from God.  I've been asking, mulling, contemplating, pondering, and trying to figure out how to change my attitude and thought patterns to live more happily.  In church there was a discussion on the book of Job.


The Sunday School teacher opened the discussion with, "What do we know about Job? What things did Job suffer?"  What did he not suffer I thought.  He lost his children, his livestock (livelihood), and his health; even his wife and friends turn on him.  

The teacher didn't  let us dwell long on the things Job suffered from before he turned our thoughts around 180 degrees.  He brilliantly asked, "What things did Job NOT suffer?" but he didn't ask the question the way I had thought just a bit before when he asked his first question.  I don't know if that just made any sense.  Just hold on with me.  You'll see what I mean in a second.

Job though he suffered a great deal of physically and emotionally he did NOT suffer from:
Pride
Narrow-mindedness
Lack of Faith
Victim-ness
Disobedience
Lack of Testimony

Oh, dear, wake up call.  There are some things on that list that are the root of my problems and that I am pretty sure are causing the bitterness and  negativism that I have allowed myself to suffer from.

I am so grateful that God is patient with me.  He tried to teach me this a little over a month ago.  I'll do want you want me to do this time.

I am grateful that My Father in Heaven has heard my musings and guided the words to my ears.  I am grateful that my spirit has been softened enough to hear them.  I am grateful to be taking this class to help me document those things I'm learning.

I'm grateful yesterday was such a full day of learning.  I believe Moosh in Indy was right in her comment to my post yessterday, that "God schools us in humility with flat tires" and to get us "to pay attention".

"Education is the movement from darkness to light."  Allan Bloom

Yep.  I think I just made a step from darkness into the peaceful, holy, light again.  Now the task is in staying there.  

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to get some insight. I love those Ah hah moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You'll remember if you read the story, that God and Job had a discussion in the end, where Job poured his heart out to God. And when it was all over, God made all things new for him. I loved that. He says the same thing at the end of Revelation - "See, I make all things new". He knows our hearts and our feelings. But every time we come through a trial like this and see the light at the end of the tunnel equips us to do it a little better the next time. Hold on to that a-ha moment. Kitty vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a super lesson, very inspiring and humbling in equal measure :-)

    ReplyDelete