Thursday, October 21, 2010

Horseradish

I just finished one book on my list of fall reading, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket. Same author of the Series of Unfortunate Events, which I didn't know at the time and have never read the series nor seen the movie.
[image source]

As I was in the library and looking for another book I glanced at a display of books put out to entice you to pick up and read. The title is what first caught my attention then I read the back: "Life is a turbulent journey, fraught with confusion, heartbreak, and inconvenience.  This book will not help."  I have so been feeling the confusion, heartbreak, and big time inconveniences for a very long time now and reading that last sentence brought a smile to my face.  That's when I felt I needed to pick it up and give it a read.

I enjoyed reading the many, different thoughts in  the thirteen different chapters dealing with Home, Family, School, Entertainment, A Life of Mystery, just to mention a few.  They were so clever and answered some of those questions inquiring minds, like mine, always want to know. 

I loved the story he opens with in the introduction about a woman who upon hearing about a wise man sets off to find him to ask all those questions she has been wanting to have answered.  The ending was classic.  I could so relate!  Maybe he was talking about me in a sense. 

A thought from the Home chapter:
"There is something marvelous about returning home at the end of a long day, even if there is tuna fish for dinner"  Isn't that the truth?

Another from the Home chapter:
 It is always sad when someone leaves home, unless they are simply going around the corner and will return in a few minutes with ice-cream sandwiches."  Mr. Snicket hit the nail on the head with that one.

From the Entertainment section:
"It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting."  I had to share this one with My Mann because we ALWAYS run into this problem. Do you know how hard it is to say, "Sorry, I have to go to bed now."?


And last from the Literature chapter:
"A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off shelves and staying up late reading them."

If you want some easy, light-hearted reading pick this 167 page book up and it will leave you scratching your head, or chin and with  a smile. 

2 comments:

  1. :) "Life is a turbulent journey, fraught with confusion, heartbreak, and inconvenience. This book will not help." That literally made me chuckle. I'm still working my way through some things myself, and I expect I will for awhile. But it does show me ever more clearly to take and appreciate joy wherever I can find it. Those moments are God reminding us that we aren't really alone, although it can feel that way sometimes.

    How's work going? Tell me you haven't run screaming from the building yet....my love to everyone and kitty vibes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole family have read and enjoyed A Series of Unfortunate Events, and this book, too - Lemony Snicket is a clever chap :-)

    ReplyDelete