Friday, October 1, 2010

What I've Learned - Sept. 30, 2010



There has been a lot of learning, pondering, discovering, and learning some more going these past thirty days.  I am so glad that I have a blogged edition of what I've learned and the comments from you my sweet readers.


I wonder what October will bring. 


Lesson 30:  As this period of concentrated learning is now coming to a close I received an email that was so fitting for the day.   It was a list of eleven things that Maya Angelou has learned during her life.  So apropos. don't you think?  Of the eleven things she learned I'm gleaning five of those eleven things.


"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back..."  Thinking about this lesson of Ms. Angelou I am realizing that there are so many things that one takes on personally or takes on  responsibility that really isn't theirs to take.   This could also go along the lines of expectations that we impose on ourselves.   I know I have set a standard for myself that  I have had a hard time reaching, partly due to some of those expectations being in my control.  I have to take that expectation, that feeling of responsibility and throw it back where it rightly belongs.


"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."  Oooh, this is a hard one.  I have way too many pity parties.  I need to stop these and be less short or obnoxious to others. 


"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back...."  I know I like  hugs.

"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn..."  I couldn't agree more. 


and,


"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."  I can't agree more. 

Thank you Maya Angelou for your words of wisdom.  May we all keep on learning and then use the learning for good. 

1 comment:

  1. That last one is like my mission president said 35 years ago (That was a life time ago!!),They may forget your name and what you said but they will never forget the way you made them feel.

    ReplyDelete