Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Darla's Delicious Rols

A long, long, time ago in a land far, far away (actually it was the Land of Enchantment) I learned how to make these delicious and easy rolls.

A friend of my mom, Darla, came over one day while I was visiting to show us how to make these rolls and ever since I've  used this recipe to make dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls.  Well, I do have to make this disclaimer, I can't leave things alone, you know, so I've added my own little variation, potatoes.

The key to this recipe is the instant yeast.  Ever since I learned about instant yeast there was no turning back for me.  I am a  very impatient sort of person and I don't particularly care to sit around waiting for something to happen before I can finish things up.  I'm of the ranks of  "handle the paper once". in this case dough, and take care of it right then instead of taking more time to come back again to finish the task.

Since you're working with instant yeast there is a little bit of a difference in how you combine the ingredients.  Instead of putting the yeast with the liquids as you would with a regular yeast the instant yeast is added to the dry ingredients.

Also a good tidbit to know about yeast.  I usually purchase my yeast in bulk.  I don't make bread in bulk so I don't go through the yeast very quickly.  But, since I keep it in the freezer in a plastic ware type container I can count on it always being good and active yeast. 

OK, so lets get baking!  Mmmmm it will smell so heavenly in a couple hours.  Just think of it hot rolls with butter dripping from them.  I can't wait!  Oh and get out the grape jelly.  Mmmmmm.  I can't stand it,  I'm going to have to make another batch right now.

This recipe doesn't take too many ingredients.  So they're easy to gather and they are all usually things you have on hand.  Easy to to make bread on a whim.  That's why I buy yeast in bulk and keep it in the freezer.

In a mixing bowl combine part of the flour and the rest of your dry ingredients.  Don't skimp on the yeast.  I always use heaping tablespoons when making it.  Give it a little whir or whisk depending if you're doing by hand or in a mixer.


Next, heat your water and butter in the same container.  I use a large measuring cup and heat it in the microwave.  Careful not to over heat your water.  If your finger is uncomfortable in it so will your yeast but you don't want it cool or cold.  Yeast is like me. We like it nice and toasty, not burning hot.


When your water is warm add the mashed potatoes to it and then pour it all together into the dry ingredients as you mix it.  When I use to do this by hand I would use a wooden spoon to stir it into the dry ingredients. 


After the wet and dry ingredients seem somewhat blended add the eggs one at a time.  


The dough will be pretty gooey at this stage of the game so dump in a cup of the left over flour.  This is where practice and experience come into play a bit, but it isn't too difficult to figure out for first timers.

I can pretty much guarantee that the one cup will not be enough flour.  After you have that first cup all mixed in get an additional cup of flour BUT DO NOT pour it all in at once.  Here is where the add-a-little, mix-a-little until blended will be happening.  


The goal is dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl forming a ball type clump around the bread hook.  The only thing is the dough will trick you. 


It may appear to be pulling from the sides of the bowl and making a nice ball around your spoon or bread hook but you'll find as you continue to blend the gluten starts to loosen up and the ball falls away from the hook to a thick doughy mass at the bottom of the bowl.


Keep adding flour a little at a time until the dough holds together better.  The gluten will get elastic-y again and forming a ball again.  Beware not to add too much flour, you don't want it to be a dry bread.  When you can peel the dough off the hook or spoon with out too much goo left on your fingers you have the right consistency.  You will have some dough that wants to hold on to your fingers but the dough will feel more tacky to the touch rather than gooey, wet.


Let the dough rest for a few minutes.  Then you can shape the dough into crescent shaped rolls, regular rolls or cinnamon rolls.  For the crescent shaped rolls, roll the dough out the dough and cut it into eighths.


Then roll each triangle from the larger end.


And place each crescent roll on the baking sheet with the pointed tip on the bottom.  


If you don't want to roll dough out you can pinch off a small bit.  Gosh, look at the hands.  On second thought don't look at my hands all my veins are popped out and old looking.


shape it into a ball.


In a baking dish with pre-melted butter dip the top of the roll in the melted butter then place it in the baking dish. 



Then let the shaped dough rise for the first and only time till it's about double the size.


When the dough has raised bake them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  


Yummo!  Here's the recipe.

Darla's Delicious Rolls
Makes 32 or 36 rolls.

2 Tablespoons Instant yeast
2/3 cup sugar (if you're making cinnamon rolls you can add up to 1 cup of sugar to the flour)
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, warmed
2 eggs
7 1/2 cups flour

  1. In a large bowl mix yeast, sugar, 5 cups flour and salt. 
  2. Heat water and butter until the butter is almost melted. 
  3. Add mashed potatoes in the the heated water/butter mixture. 
  4. Add the water mixture and eggs to the flour mixture and mix well.  Sprinkle 1 cup of flour at a time.  Mix into the dough until it is easy to handle.  Kneading dough a little more. 
  5. Let dough rest a few minutes before shaping dough.
Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 15 minutes or deliciously golden.

30 Days of Thanks Living:  I'm really feeling grateful for taste buds and ovens today.  I love using my oven to make delicious things for others to eat.

2 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious, YUM! Bookmarking this to come back to when I next have some time for baking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pioneer Woman would be so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete