Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Snapshot of Life

I have the most amazing kidlets!  Now, I'm on the tail end of the raising of my children.  I am seeing the fruits of my labor at this point in time.  For me I think our decision to homeschool was a huge factor in the closeness I have with my children.


The other day My Sweet Pea suggested we go bowling.  The four of us were available and ready for an outing.


Now just so you know none of us are pro bowlers, heck we're not even bowlers for that matter.  We just like to think that we can bowl.  Fortunately, the bowling alley allows anybody on the lanes. . . as long as you lay down the cash.


I was trying to get some control of my bowling ball so it wouldn't roll into the ally missing the pins completely.  In order to do so I wasn't sending it down the ally with huge amounts of force so even though the ball was knocking pins down, not many went down.

My Boy would offer his sound advice, "Next time throw it faster so there's more force and the will cause the pins to whack the pins next to them down as well."


So for several more frames I tried to take his advice.  After all he is younger than I am, he's been bowling more recently than  I have, maybe he knows what he's talking about.  When he hurls his bowling ball down the lane there is generally a lot of commotion with the pins and several go flying. . . or the ball speeds down the gutter.

I wasn't having much success in taking his advice, generally I had less pins go down.


I could help it, not only have I been watching the goings of our lane (lane 9) but I couldn't help but notice the lane next to us (lane 10) where three kidlets no taller than my knees were pushing or dropping their ball on to their lane and then the ball miraculously begins rolling down the lane.



It would take two of our turns for their ball to make to the end of the lane.



And when it finally did, huge amounts of pins would come crashing down.



I reverted back to my slow and steady wins the race mentality with again fewer pins knocked down.  My Boy says to me, "You're doing it too slow again, you need to throw it faster and harder."


I sat down a little frustrated and in defeat I answer "But look at those kids, see how slow their ball goes down the lane?  And look at all the pins they manage to knock down.  They even get strikes!"

With a look of incredible disbelief, in all seriousness he looks me in the eye and answers with that duh Mom tone,  "They give the kids lighter pins!"

Bursting my theory all I could say was, "Really?"

Guffaw,  Ha Ha,  head in hands, both My Sweet Pea and My Boy (My Mann couldn't defend me he was conquering some pins at the end of the ally) totally enjoyed taking advantage of  my gullibility.



A couple minutes later My Boy shares his thoughts, "You know, all the family outings we have like these?  I couldn't imagine doing them with any other parents."

Melt my heart.  I love my kidlets!

30 Days of Thanks Living:

[I am grateful] for the beauty of the earth,
For the beauty of the skies,
For the love which from our birth 
Over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise 
This our hymn of grateful praise.


[I am grateful] for the beauty of each hour
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale, and tree and flow'r,
Sun and moon, and stars of light,
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise.


[I am grateful] for the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child,
Friend on earth and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild,
Lord of all, to thee we raise 
This our hymn of grateful praise.


I feel this hymn by Folliott S. Pierpoint expresses the gratitude I am feeling today.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I love this Linda!! You do have an amazing family. I'm glad you still take advantage of moments to spend together, even if they are no longer little kids. We all need those spontaneous moments to just go and do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely thing for him to say! It's so great to spend time together as a family like this, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so love the family pictures - we love to go bowling too, one of our favourite activities! thanks for linking up. naomi x

    ReplyDelete