Thursday, December 16, 2010

And the Stockings Were Hung

Let me tell you a little story.

While we were away after Thanksgiving the kidlets set up the tree, put up the house lights, hung the garlands (different ones this year), snowflakes (also new this year),
 
and the stockings were hung with care.

It wasn't that long ago that the hanging of the stockings was a sore topic.  You see there were three similar red basic stockings and
a beautifully cross-stitched stocking.

Each year when the stockings came out My Boy would let me know under no uncertain means that he was put out that his stocking was,

well,

red and plain.

Once upon a time there had been another stocking being equally beautifully stitched but not very done.  It was started when My Boy was about 2 or 3 years old when my boy was, well, all boy and very active and needing my time.
 
Each year he would remark about how My Sweet Pea's stocking was homemade and a lot of time spent on it and his didn't have that same love put into it.  Maybe it was a cop out but I'd tell him that my time and love went into taking care of him and his sister and that like cross-stitching was set on the back burner.

A couple years ago, 16 years after the stocking was begun, I was able to surprise My Boy with his stocking, which by the way was a little more intricate and time consuming than his sister's.  He has been a happy boy ever since.

The End.

PS I have patterns to make stockings for My Mann and me, but now my eyes are too old to cross-stitch at night and my daylight time is filled with work and family.

1 comment: