Friday, January 7, 2011

Cinnamon Bread

I tried out a new recipe a few weeks ago while my mum was visiting.  She was going through my recipe files, looking at all the recipes I have stashed and not yet tried out.  So this recipe was one that we decided to try out and I think it's a keeper to put into the permanent recipe file. 
 What caught my interest when I initially clipped this recipe were the ingredients, well along with the name. Who doesn't like cinnamon?

You have ingredients like milk, vegetable oil (not too exciting), applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, flour, sugar, instant vanilla pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt , and last but not least, the ingredient the recipe is named for, cinnamon.

The second thing that caught my interest with this recipe is the ease of making it.
I mixed the milk, oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla in my mixing bowl.  Simple, measure, dump, mix, quick.
 Next in a separate bowl I added my flour, sugar pudding mix, baking soda, baking poweder, salt and cinnamon.  Then mixed those all up.
The blended dry ingredients I then stirred into the milk mixture until it was smooth.  When all smooth I poured it into my greased loaf pans.  In this case it was four small loaf pans.

It didn't call for it in the recipe but then I added my own touch.

I'm telling you I just can't leave a recipe alone.  I'm always adapting it. 

After it was in the loaf pan I sprinkled a streusel topping with 1/4 C flour, 3 TBLS light brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3 TBLS butter.
I don't know if I'll do that again.  Not that it was bad by any means.  It was actually good, but it's the aesthetics that got me.  It could also have been that my butter was way too warm and clumped up rather than being crumbly.  Thinking about it now maybe I'll have to try it again with cold butter. . .or maybe I'll just sprinkle some cinnamon-sugar on top.

Another change I have lurking in my head when I make this bread again is to increase the applesauce by a 1/4 C. and decreasing the oil by the same amount.  Just a thought, but I can feel a really strong urge to do that.

Bake these babies in a 325 degree oven for an hour. The smaller pans may take a little less time depending on your oven calibration so keep an eye on them. 

Cinnamon Bread

  • 1 1/2 C milk
  • 1/2 C. vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 3 C flour
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1 (5.1 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 t. ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease two 9" loaf pans.

2. In a large bowl, mix the milk, oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.

3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnnamon.

4. Stir the flour mixture into the milk mixture until smooth and pour batter into the 2 pans.

5. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment