Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gwampa! Gwampa!

Am I too old to be wishing I  had a Gwampa that I could run to and have him scoop me into his arms?

I never knew my paternal grandfather.  He died before my father was born.

My maternal grandfather?  I was terrified of him.  My only memories of him are his toothless mouth, yelling at one of the many grandchildren and a bottle of beer close by.  I stayed as far away from him as I could conveniently be on our visits to grandma's house. 
Boyd K. Packer
If I could pick a grandfather I think I would have picked Boyd K. Packer.  I just read one of his talks from May 2004, called "Do Not Fear".  

As I read I could feel his tenderness as he counseled to trust the Lord. And  "As a grandfather who has lived a long time, I counsel you to have faith. Things have a way of working out." "Find happiness in ordinary things, and keep your sense of humor." "Put your homes in order." "Life will not be free from challenges, some of them bitter and hard to bear. We may wish to be spared all the trials of life, but that would be contrary to the great plan of happiness, 'for it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things' (2 Ne. 2:11). This testing is the source of our strength."

I was pleased to realize that I had been trying to follow some of this advice already, that of finding happiness in ordinary things.   I have also had a tiny inkling and rekindled hope in how things can work out.  I need to trust that all is well, to put my own house in order, and continue to find happiness in the ordinary things.  

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to know sometimes we are getting it right even if we didn't know it. I too think about who I would like to have as my grandfather. I thought it was just me.

    ReplyDelete