Monday, March 7, 2011

Firsts

I had been so excited for the year Twenty-eleven to begin.  It had to be better than Twenty-ten.  The first month of the year seemed fresh, new, invigorating.  It held a lot of newness and nostalgia at the same time.  I would go through an experience and think this is the first time I'm doing this for this year.  I found myself thinking this several times during the month of January so I then realized that I needed to make a page about those things.

The journaling reads: Who would have thought that the ordinary every day things of life would be the consequential firsts of 2011?
  • 1st meal of the year- waffles from new waffle iron
  • 1st trip and flight of the year to New Mexico
  • 1st movie seen in theater The Tourist with Depp & Jolie
  • 1st book finished The Year of Fog
  • 1st gas fill up of the year at $3.259 a gallon.
I don't know why these things struck me so strongly that I felt they needed documentation.  I'm glad I did it.  Maybe it is some insight into the things that give my life some grounding?  some sense of order?   I don't know.  I'm just a simple person who likes simple, classic, things. . .although I don't car for the high gasoline prices that have escalated since that $3.259 back on the 2nd of January. 

I'm also learning a little more about myself as I did this layout.  I'm starting to think that I would much rather be a minimalist when it comes to scrapbooking.  The more "white space" on a page the freer I feel.  The less embellishments the less the stress.  I also love, love, love black.  I want to bring it on to my pages more.  In this case the title and journaling.

Another thing I did was to leave the mess I made of writing waffles incorrectly.  After I did it and reread it I saw what I had done.  Trying to correct it made for some black inky blotches but I'm trying to leave it there to remind me to Trust.  My one little word for the year.  Trust the process of what I will find as I scrapbook.  And more importantly Trust myself and realize I don't have to have things perfect, they're OK if there is a little blotch. 

What kind of things are you finding out about yourself this year?

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely, lovely page - such a great subject to document!

    One of the things I seem to be learning about myself this year is that I'm fairly rubbish without my husband!! He's been on two work trips, and while I can - and do - get on with things and keep the house and kids together, I miss him like crazy and I just don't function in quite the same way....

    ReplyDelete