Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Hindsight

"Consider, Sir, how insignificant this will appear a twelvemonth hence."
 Samuel Johnson

Ran across this quote in my inbox from The Happiness Project today.  

I think this is true possibly maybe 80% of the time.    But there are some things that are very significant the remaining 20% of the time.

Simple, mundane, everyday things you do that build your character, for instance.  Those things may seem insignificant at the time but you'll find they have a large impact on how things are in a twelvemonth hence.

Some other things that are pretty significant would be a birth or a death of a loved one.

Becky Higgins mentioned a reminder she has that goes like this: The purpose of the task is to strengthen the relationship.  Relationships also fall into that 20% of significance.  Since I've printed her little reminder and put it by my bathroom mirror I've been more conscience about where I spend my time.  

As you may or may have not noticed my blogging has become less of a daily posting for a number of reasons.  First, I've been really trying to make more of an effort to strengthening my relationships for myself as well as with family and friends.  I think I need it for my emotional health.  

I've also been pretty sick with that flu guck that has been going around.  I can't even remember the last time I had the achy bones-tender skin-sore muscle-let me die-I want to go to sleep forever, flu.  So, when I got, that's what I did - the go to sleep forever part.  Although I did open eyes and mouth long enough to eat hot Campbell's chicken noodle soup periodically.


And lastly, I've been thinking that I want to get back to sharing meaningful things with you.  I mean if you've stopped by I think it should be worth your while.  I hope that you will find that to be the case. 

I think when you look at what you're doing and why that will give you a hint as to whether or not it's worth 80% or 20% of your effort in worrying, working, fussing, or fretting over.

What do you feel?  Do you agree with Samuel Johnson?

4 comments:

  1. I always loved Abraham Lincoln's quote, "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Whether you use Johnson's perspective (which I have), or Mom's go-to, "Count your blessings" (also have), or even the quote from the Bible which stated the sufferings of the present time are not to be compared to the glory which is to come, I think the main idea is not to get lost or overwhelmed in the moment, however tempting the thought may be. Probably just as important is remembering that you never experience those moments alone. If I am not there and there is no kitty to comfort you, you still have a Friend who loves you and a crowd of witnesses cheering you on.

    Having said all that, when none of those thoughts work, I just remind myself that I did sign up for this....sigh.....yup. I may need to work through that glutton for punishment thing in therapy....LOL. Take care of you. Kitty vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put Pam. I ditto what Pam said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find it worthwhile visiting your blog, hun. So sorry to hear you've not been well - I haven't had the chance to read blogs lately, but I've been thinking about you and looking forward to catching up over here. I hope you're fully recivered now xx

    ReplyDelete