Sunday, July 3, 2011

Red,White, & Blue

I watched the flag pass by one day

It fluttered in the breeze

A young Marine saluted it,

And then he stood at ease

I looked at him in uniform 

So young, so tall, so proud.

With hair cut square and eyes alert,

he'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him 

Had fallen through the years.

How many died on foreign soil;

How many mother's tears.
How many pilot's planes shot down?

How many died at sea?

How many foxholes were soldier's graves?

No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,

When everything was still.

I listened to the bugler play,

And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times

That Taps had meant "Amen."

When a flag had draped a coffin

Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,

Of all the mothers, and the wives,

Of the fathers, sons, and husbands

With interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard

At the bottom of the sea.

Of unmarked graves in Arlington.

No, freedom isn't free
[Poem by an Anonymous]

And I might add to this   - Land of the Free because of the Brave, Unselfish lovers of freedom for All
 
Enjoy your freedom and God bless America.

Have a safe Fourth of July

1 comment: