Thursday, October 6, 2011

September Round-Up

I saw Katie the Scrapbook Lady’s Round –Up idea about a year ago and thought, What a good idea, but that was as far as I got on that idea.  It has now resurfaced again in my thoughts and this time hasn’t left.  I guess that means I should act on it. 
She has a set of 10 questions that she answers each month that recap the main activities for the month. I’m going to use her same 10 questions for my round-up

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?
Spirit Magazine (the Southwest Airlines magazine that they put in the seat pocket of each seat.)
Somerset’s Art Journal magazine.
Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent. 
Escape from Rwanda by John Yves Bizimana. I love his thoughts from what he has learned.  

“How do we know who we truly are?  Though we may believe otherwise, we do not really know ourselves until we see ourselves.  But how do we see ourselves? There is an arrangement that allows us to see ourselves.  The trials of our lives expose to us the strengths or weaknesses of our character.  Trials are the mirror that allow us to see ourselves indeed, because trials, in whatever form, reveal to us how strong or weak we are.  They are not always punishment for past offenses.  Once we identify or weaknesses by virtue of those trials, we then have a choice to rectify them through the proper means.  Trials are similar to a test.  A test will not make us more intelligent, but it will reveal our standing in a subject, thus exposing which areas we need to improve.”

Love this insight.  Since reading Bizimana’s story and these words I’ve tried to be more patient with myself after I have seen myself through the mirror of trials placed in my life over the past few years.  Prior to this I was feeling more like the Picture of Dorian Gray (a great classic).   Not so much, now, after reading Escape From Rowanda.

What movies, television shows, plays, etc. did I watch this month?
The third and part of the fourth season of McCloud’s Daughters.
Started watching the TV series Person of Interest, Unforgettable, New Girl, and Pioneer Woman.  I’m not very cultured. 

What fun things did I do with my family and/or friends?
IMG_3858 
We had an enjoyable time with My Mann’s brothers and sisters as we all converged to celebrate his dad’s 89th birthday. 


What gifts did I give and/or receive?
I gave the gift of time to be with my mom for her surgery and to be with My Mann’s dad’s birthday and while he was in the hospital. 
IMG_4038

What special or unusual purchases did I make?
I bought a cute pair of shoes. 
Oh, and I paid to sign up for two classes: Hoops for your Droops (hee, hee, love that class name) and Beginning Watercolor. 

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
My mom’s bout with cancer has been a huge concern.
My father-in-law has been in the hospital and we have been concerned over his lack of favorable health.

What were my accomplishments this month?
I made it through the month.
I have more of a handle on working in Photoshop and I even enjoy it. 

What were my disappointments this month?
I’m sad to see Summer on its way.  It’s never long enough or hot enough in my opinion.  Even being in Houston for the the first part of the month didn’t give me enough hot summer nights.

How did I do on my goals for the month? 
I started out with the goal of learning my way around Photoshop and Lightroom.  I think I’ve got a good start on Photoshop but didn’t do too well in Lightroom.  Maybe learning two programs is a bit much to tackle in one month.  

Anything else noteworthy to include?
I’ve been made co-chair to the WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Self-Study Team for our school.  I would not only be writing the dissertation but now also co-chairing the committee. I wouldn’t call this an accomplishment because I don’t know anyone in their right mind that would aspire to this position, but it is a major part of my work day, now.  Don’t think I would consider it a disappointment either because I will probably learn a great deal from this experience. . .like writing a paper, for one thing.  Some how I missed that in my own schooling. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this round-up idea :) (I was shocked to realise that I wouldn't be able to answer all the questions myself, I've forgotten so much already!)

    ReplyDelete