Saturday, December 10, 2011

10 Traditions

source
"And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that the holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God."

Today is the 10th.  You know what that means?  I'm participating with Shimelle in 10  Things.  For this month I'll be listing 10 of my memorable traditions.  Tradition.  First, what makes a tradition a tradition?   The dictionary definition says a tradition is the handing down of statements. beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth or by practice.  

According to the above definition I can feel totally at ease listing things I would do with my family as a little girl or things I did with my family when the children were younger, but do not currently practice at this time.  The sweet memories those practices left in my mind sweet memories that traditions can have.

source
1. Collecting mistletoe (will have to share this memory later this month.

2. Family parties and gatherings Tamales on Christmas Eve

3. Tamales on Christmas Eve.  This tradition begins before Christmas in with my aunts and some of my uncles getting together at a tamale makeing party.  We then enjoy tamales as a large family gathering on Christmas Eve.

Source
4. Scotcheroos.  These are the best, hands down, addictive, cookie bars around.  My mom would put these together to add to the cookie tray we gave to the neighbors.  After I married I started making them but only at Christmas time because they are so good I'd eat them all myself and I can't afford to pack on all those calories all year round.  Hence, they have become a Christmas tradition for me.  I found the same recipe I've used for years and my mom has used on line at the Kellogg's Rice Krispies website. My mom probably got the recipe of the cereal box years and years ago. 

Source
5. Going on a drive to see the Christmas lights.  Just the other night as I was driving by myself around town I found myself thinking oooh, aaah as I saw the decorated houses and streets.  I was transported back to childhood, sitting in the back seat with nose pressed against the window oohing and aaahing at the decorated houses down Santa clause lane and candy cane lane.   The streets weren't really those names but during Christmas the homes on those streets are Santa Claus, candy cane, snowman, etc, themed in their decorations.

6. Decorating the Christmas tree.  This is a quiet, peaceful, special memory for me.  As I decorate the tree I remember so many trees from years past.  Some with thin strips of tinsel that was placed one tiny strand at a time over each branch.  I loved the look of them once they were done.  As a kid it just seemed magical.  Also the placing of the ornaments brings back so many memories as just about each ornament has a special meaning.

Source
7. Nativities.  What would Christmas be without the nativity.  I collect nativity ornaments and nativity sets to display at Christmas time. 

8. A new ornament each year for the kidlets.  I decided before we had children to purchase them one new ornament each year for them so once they leave and have their own houses they will have ornaments to place on their Christmas trees.

9. Watching and, some years, reading The Christmas Carol.  This tradition I've already mentioned.

10.  Sometimes joining a Handel's Messiah sing-a-long, but if not singing it we definitely have to listen to the CD.

How about you?  What  traditions play a part in your Christmas holiday and memories?

Remember to check out the other 10 Things.








 

6 comments:

  1. Oooh I had forgotten that I always listen to Handel's Messiah on Christmas eve and to the service from Kings. Thank you for reminding me of more traditions to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband and I have kids, i'd love to do that too. On my parents christmas tree I have fond memories related to their ornaments. I think the sentimental or handmade ornaments are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the new Christmas Carol? The one with Jim Carry? TOTALLY creepy!! {or maybe I'm just a scaredy cat!}

    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share some of yours :) Family gatherings, driving and looking at the lights, special treats. I can still picture hanging the tinsel strand by strand (we even saved it year to year!) A great list of TEN

    ReplyDelete
  5. REally interesting list! I also collect nativities and (as you know) enjoy the tamale tradition.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete