Wednesday, December 7, 2011

2+1=?

Source
"He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:"


Having had so many  experiences with crashing computers gives me a complex.  I know I'm hard on cameras, what with spilling my in flight drinks on them, having waves crash on them as I'm trying to get that perfect picture.  But, now I getting a complex about my computers.  I've had several at home and at work crash on me.  My first laptop still works but I left it behind in the cupboard because the screen top has a broken hinge and needs very delicate handling.  

Last week my green apple laptop crashed.  Thankfully I have learned some lessons.  I only lost the last two months worth of pictures, digital downloads, and documents.  Of those I think I have lost about half permanently, the other half I think I can retrieve from somewhere again if I can remember what it was I had.  

The lessons I am learning are to keep certain emails in the cloud (I no longer use Outlook.  I just check my email online.) and to back-up files.  The most recent lesson learned?   Back-up more frequently.  

Since my Green Apple crashed I needed a computer to finish reviewing pictures and post a senior portrait job I had done and I needed to do it ASAP.  God loves me.  I was able to take care of the immediate needs for the job on my old, fragile laptop while I waited for my newer one to reinstall the operating system and then the slow process of reinstalling all my software.  

I now have both laptops sitting side by side as I keep an eye on the one and work off the other.  This afternoon as I was working back and forth  between the two I got carried away before I knew it I was trying to move the cursor from one to the other.  The only problem with that was that the cursor kept bumping into the side of the screen and going no further.  It just wouldn't cross the space to the other computer's screen.  At first I was baffled, unable to comprehend why it wouldn't glide easily over.  Bump. Bump. Bump.  No matter how many times I attempted to make it cross over it just wouldn't go.  Then my mind became conscience of what I was doing.  I bet you figured this out long before I said much in my explanation.  

You see, I have dual screens working off my work laptop.  I find it very convenient to spread out all my paperwork on the desk table and that carries over to my work on the computer.  The more I can spread out the better and easier for me to work.  Being home, having both screens on, side by side, my mind just filled in what it thought was true. Two screens together + One cursor  = ability to cross over and work on both screens.  Not!

How quickly we become accustomed to things.  It sure would be nice to have dual screens here at home.  But, right now, I'm happy just to have a computer that is working. 




No comments:

Post a Comment