Friday, December 9, 2011

The Christmas Carol

By Warner Sallman
"Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?"



One of the nice things about the Christmas season are all the Christmas specials and movies on TV.  


Very soon after Thanksgiving, even that very night after all our Thanksgiving guests have gone, I will put The Muppet Christmas Carol on to watch.   I just love Rizzo the rat because he makes me laugh, but most of all the message found in the story of the Christmas Carol, to love and care for one another all year round. is what draws me to it every time.

Marley, Scrooge's long time dead partner in business, comes back to Scrooge in hopes to  warn him that no amount of "regret can make amends for one life's opportunities misused!" and that Scrooge still has a chance and hope of escaping the same fate he is in.    

Earlier in the story two gentlemen come in to Scrooge's business asking for donations for the poor.  Scrooge answers that there are debtor's prisons for this purpose.  Appalled, these two gentlemen answer that he should know that many people would rather die than go to a debtor's prison.  " 'it's not my business,' Scrooge returned.  It's enough for a man to understand his own business."

Having this mindset is what Marley is trying to warn Scrooge about.  "'Business!' cried the ghost...'Mankind was my business.  The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forebearance, and benevolence were all my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business.'"

The message: "Mankind is our business."  We are here to help each other, to share burdens and joy with one another. Isn't that what we would like to receive if we needed help or solace.   That is what makes life fulfilling and hearts joyful for both the giver and recipient.   

May your heart be full of joy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment