Monday, December 19, 2011

Turkey Cranberry Casserole

By  Walter Rane
"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."



 
 

After Thanksgiving I used leftover turkey to make a Turkey Cranberry Casserole to put into the freezer for later.  I'm glad I did so it was easy to pull out for dinner during this hectic time. 

Earlier I had sauted some onion in butter to mix with bread crumbs and made a stuffing with a little help from Mrs. Cubison's boxed stuffing.  You could also use leftover stuffing if you any.  Once made, I spread the stuffing on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
Then I cut up some leftover turkey until I had 4 cups of pieces and spread it over the top of the stuffing.


Basically the next step is to prepare a white sauce with a some thyme, poultry seasoning, and parsley added.  Pour all this delicious sauce over the turkey and it's almost done. 

 

The last layer is the canned cranberry sauce. The recipe calls for a 12 ounce can but I used two cans of cranberry sauce since we like it.  If you make this recipe you can do whatever you want.  Speaking of doing whatever you want, I noticed that is what I did for this layer.  Not only by doubling the amount but also when I put it on top.  I noticed that the recipe says to bake the casserole naked first then add the cranberry sauce.  I did the opposite this time and froze it with the sauce already on it before baking.  It didn't hurt and tasted the same.  (Recipes are only guidelines.)

At this point you can heat it up for dinner till it looks hot and bubbly or freeze it for a later date. Either way it's yummy and easy to make.  

You can serve it up with something more than canned green beans but on this particular night I was lucky to get a can open let alone anything else. Lucky for me that is all I had to do, and heat up an already made casserole, to serve a substantial meal.

Dear awesome you, with all the fun and activities happening, and I think I see some leftover turkey in your future, I thought you might like to have a simple recipe to use.  Here it is.


Turkey Cranberry Casserole
4 cups bread crumbs

1 chopped onion
1/2 cup butter
4 cups cooked turkey cut into pieces
12 ounces canned Cranberry sauce

Sauce: 
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
3 Cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 cup chopped parsley


1. Saute onion in butter, mix in bread crumbs, spread in 9" x 13" baking dish,
2. Layer turkey pieces over bread crumbs
3. To make sauce, in saucepan, melt butter.  Blend in flour; gradually add milk.  Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.  Season with salt, pepper, thyme, poultry seasoning and parsley.
4. Pour sauce over turkey and bread crumbs. 
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Top with can of cranberry sauce.  Bake 10 minutes more.  




1 comment:

  1. I like this dish and look forward to having it after every Thanksgiving. The cranberries make it very yummy!

    ReplyDelete