Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Red Chili Enchiladas

I like red chili enchiladas,  No, I LOVE enchiladas!

The trouble is that I'm picky about how they are made.

They have to be made just like my momma makes them.  Corn tortillas, lightly fried, dipped in red chili, a filling of onions and cheese placed down the center of each tortilla which is then folded around the cheese and baked.
The only trouble is that they take more than a few minutes to make a couple dozen for dinner.  Heck, it takes more that few minutes to make a dozen or a half dozen enchiladas.  And if you're going to go to all that work, heck, you may as well make three or four dozen while you're at it.
It's been a long time since there's been time with work and after grocery errands and housecleaning on the weekends to make enchiladas.

When the kidlets were little we would make enchiladas together.  Then the kidlets grew up.  I went to work full time.  The kidlets still living at home wanted  enchiladas.  They knew how to make them. So they would occasionally.
Then the kidlets grew even older with busier schedules.  We all still crave enchiladas.

I recently woke up with a craving for enchiladas and it just wouldn't go away like it has in the past.  I thought and thought about it for several days.

Alright, it was a week I thought about it. 

Something had to be done, but there will be very little time to do much more than breathe for the next three months.

So, what to do?

Open up a can of red enchilada sauce, split some corn tortillas up, dip them in the sauce and cover the bottom of a baking dish.  Cover the tortillas with grated cheese and some chopped onions.

Repeat twice more ending with the cheese and onions.  If you feel so inclined you can add some cooked chicken.  I use rotisserie chicken from Costco.  It's quicker that way.  Then you can refrigerate the casserole until you're ready to bake and eat it. 
What a pleasant surprise it was to taste it the first time.  We didn't even miss the lightly fried part of the traditional recipe.  Now, around home, I hear things like, "Are you gonna make enchiladas again?"  and  "When are you going to make enchilada casserole again."

Knowing I can prepare it in about 20 minutes it makes it a dream come true.

Wishing you dreams that come true.

Ciao, My Lovlies.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I never tried enchiladas while we were over - I discovered plenty of other new favourites by tasting Mexican food though, including burritos, quesadillas and tacos :) Oh, and *good* guacamole! (They are available over here but only in particular forms and not that widely!) I definitely want to try this, but unfortunately The Children are too fussy and The Doctor doesn't like cheese, so I'd have to eat them all myself... Shame! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - they sound just like my mom's enchiladas. She would serve them with chopped ice berg lettuce, sour creme and a few more raw onions on top.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete