Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Salivating

It's that time of year again when my taste buds can enjoy those seasonal food that they love.  It's a good thing that these are eaten seasonally as I eat way too much of it when it is available.  Can you imagine if I had it available all year round?  On second thought, let's not.

With fresh cranberries in season you know I will be making Cranberry Salsa again.
You can find the  recipe here:  Cranberry Salsa

I'm also looking forward to candied yams.  I know you can find yams all year round, practically, but I only eat them candied in the winter. 

All that maple syrup with a hint of oranges, brown sugar and cinnamon.   YUM.  I thought I had a picture of the completed dish, but I guess I don't
You can find that recipe here:  Candied Yams

I do very little baking now days.  I think it would be more appropriate if I said now years instead of days. As much as I look forward to home made rolls this year I am switching that up. This year I have had a craving for store bought Hawaiian Bread Rolls.  

I think its one of those things where you tire of what is common to you.  My Mann likes to tell about the homemade wheat bread sandwiches his mom packed in his school lunches day after day.  The kids next to him eying and salivating over his homemade bread.  All the while My Mann is looking at their store bought bread sandwiches wishing for that in his lunch, instead.  So, a swap would be made.  Smiles on each boy's face.  He would eat the light, airy, mushy bread and think he had hit pay dirt.
If you want to give homemade rolls a try you can find my recipe here:  Darla's Delicious Rolls    The trick for light homemade bread are the mashed potatoes. 

Then we mustn't forget Tom.  Turkey, that is.  I think the best part of a freshly cooked turkey is one of the first slices that I can sneak while My Mann is carving the turkey.  There is just nothing else like that! 

For years now I have been cooking my turkeys, all within the 20-25 lb range, in 2 hours.  They come out great.  I found directions for this several years ago when a grocery chain was handing them out.  I didn't try it at first because I didn't believe it could be done and done right.  Then one year I took the plunge.  It worked and I haven't looked back since.  I'll have to post how I do that in another post.

Right now, I have to get some more of my Thanksgiving preparations taken care of so things will run smoothly for tomorrows guests.  I love this time of year for being with family, friends, and good food.

How about you, My Lovelies?  What are you looking forward to eating this season?

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to be enough recovered to make my annual batch of mincemeat soon, so I can make mince pies - a seasonal treat that The Doctor and I always look forward to! And if you haven't come across British mincemeat before then you need to know that it doesn't contain meat at all, but is a mixture of dried fruit, and (in my recipe!) grated carrot and apple and a slug of brandy.... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce. . . all the classics.
    Off to check out the salsa recipe.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete