Sunday, January 6, 2013

Words

They say a picture paints a thousand words.  I wonder if you really need that many words.  Last year I realized the power of one word.  I have, for the last two years, focused on one word that I felt would encompass what I needed or wanted to accomplish for the year.  Instead of writing out specific goals that could be checked off, which by the way I've done for at least 40 years prior to this, I instead took one word that would encompass all my hopes and dreams for the year. 

I began with one word in 2011.  I was in the midst of a very dark fog due to situational depression.  At that time I didn't have the strength in me to write yet another goal that I could not physically or emotionally accomplish.  My OCD behavior just didn't have it in me, but because of my OCD I had to have something.  Hence the one word.  That year I didn't really pick the word as much as the word picked me.  In fact I threw it out several times, but it just wouldn't go away or let go.  It was TRUST.  I had to give myself up over to trusting others, trusting God, trusting that things would work out.  I had a bracelet that I wore frequently with the inscription "Trust in the Lord"  That was my hardest challenge.  But the repetition of seeing the word, even when I didn't feel like I could trust, offered a thread of hope to keep going.

By the end of the year I hadn't accomplished my word.  Not by a long shot.  But,  the seed had been planted and it was starting to sprout.

In 2012 it was time to think about another word.  By this time I was feeling like I would like to embrace trust a little more.  Additionally, there were other things I was now ready to try.  I felt like there was a new dawn finally breaking in my life.  There were some things I wanted to pursue.  I could feel some eagerness, finally, to do something.  Again my word chose me.  I would not have intentionally thought of it.  The word was GROW.  It was the perfect word.  I could continue to grow in trusting others, God, and myself.  I could grow in my creative skills.  I could grow in my relationships.  I could grow in liking myself again.

This year for 2013 I had my word chosen  just after Thanksgiving.  JOYFUL.  Last year my sister made me a calendar with pictures and quotes about "Growth" for each month.  Everyday looking at that calendar help remind me of my word and goal for the year.  I thought that worked so well that I made a calendar for me this year with pictures and quotes for my word and as thank you to my sister I made one for her with her word.

I am looking forward to Joyfully continuing to grow and trust.  I will also be reminded to find Joy in the most obscure and least likely places not just the easy places.  I think this One Little Word idea has given me wings to fly where specific goals had tethered me to the ground.

What about you, My Lovlies?  Have you chosen a word for the year?  Have you gained any insights by focusing on that word for the year?

Ciao

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you have continued to embrace your words and braid them together.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a journey and I love our calendars and our words even though they may be different here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word for 2012 was GROW, too. I retired, moved across the country, took online classes in Photoshop and Lightroom, and began finding my way around my new life...I grew and I'm still growing in many directions. This year's word is EXPLORE. It popped into my head unexpectedly but with absolute conviction that it was right. I'm excited to see where it will take me.

    ReplyDelete