Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Pizza Conundrum

For a very long time now, I have been on the hunt, sometimes more diligently than others, for that just right pizza crust recipe.  Have you ever been obsessed with something like this?

I've tried several recipes in the past and the desire or urgency of the perfect recipe subsided for a while until it reared its head again after the cruise.  On the Grand Princess' pool deck there is a place that serves what I think are some of the best pizzas.  The crust was just the way I remembered the pizzas I ate in Rome: thin, crisp on the edges and flexible enough to fold in half lengthwise to eat.

So I am in the pursuit of that elusive recipe once again.

I found in my recipe stash that I had one from my Italian friend.  I gave it a shot.  It was so easy and quick to put together and assemble with toppings and all.  Almost as fast as walking to the freezer to get a frozen pizza  to put into the oven.  I'm exaggerating some, but not by much with how quick it all went together.
 
I couldn't wait for it to come out of the oven.  I had such high hopes that this was the one.  It looked great from the oven.

I didn't even wait for it to cool much before cutting into it and taking a taste.  As soon as I picked up the slice I was disappointed.   It  was perfectly crisp on the outside edge, but it didn't have that flexibility to fold.

I don't know enough about pizza crusts and upon further investigation I'm seeing that there are many variables to making pizzas.  Maybe I didn't use the right type of flour.  Maybe I have to let the dough rise a bit before I shaped it for the pizza.  Maybe I've done all the right things with the dough, but my oven temperature may have been too low (425 F.) cooking it too long.  Got any hints for me? 

Buona vita to all.  Until we meet again.



2 comments:

  1. Sorry I can't be any help on how to make the crust of the pizza be better, but I sure can help in the sampling and testing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we'll have to put that on our to do list next time we get together. Do you remember how our pizzas tasted in Rome? I'll make it and you can taste it.

      Delete