Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Thought I'd Hate It

Alaska conjures scenes of cold, white, barren land.  None of my favorite scenes.

At least that's what the thought of Alaska did for me. It was hard to be excited about going.

I was surprised to find that it didn't quite meet everything I'd imagined it to be.  
Thank goodness.

As I learned  bits and pieces of Alaska's gold rush history and traveled through the same White Pass and Yukon that the miners endured in hopes of a better future something happened to  me.

My Mann wanted to go to Alaska to see it and experience it.  I came along dragging my heels and silently screaming.  But on this particular day I fell under the spell of the Yukon.  Much like the miners in Robert Services' poem "The Spell of the Yukon"
You hate it like hell for a season,
           And then you are worse than the worst.
        It grips you like some kinds of sining,
 It twists you from foe to a friend;
It's the forests where silence has lease;
      It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
 It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

I found it hard to hate it with so much beauty wherever you looked and waterfalls galore.

In the port town of Skagway where the miners' journey began there are wonders equally captivating, now for the tourists.

Have you ever thought you'd really, really not like something only to find out how wrong you were?  I'm glad Alaska proved me wrong.  It isn't all cold, white, barren land.










1 comment:

  1. It looks beautifully wild and unspoilt! On my way to Japan 30 years ago we stopped off at Anchorage, in April, and I just remember blesk whiteness.

    ReplyDelete