Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pushed

I am signed up for the Frugal Still Life Photographer class.  It's an 8 week course on still photography. 

I thought this would be a "fun" class.  Which in my mind meant: A class that would mildly stretch your photography skills.

It has been almost 5 years since I bought my first and only DSLR after years of a point and shoot using it's programmed settings of macro, speed, portrait, museum, etc.  At the time I purchased my DSLR I promised myself that since I was spending so much money for a nice Canon EOS 40D and lens (18mm-200mm telephoto) I would not revert to the programmed settings.  Instead I would learn and work in manual only.

I have kept that promise with just a limited amount of time using the aperture or shutter modes. I am for the most part pleased with my efforts.  They aren't always great, but more times than not they are fairly good. 

Hence my feelings that this class would be "fun" and I might learn a few things.

What I didn't realize is that it would be hugely uncomfortable and hard.  It would mean I had to put the thought into what I wanted my photograph to say instead of seeing something as it was, left as someone or God Himself placed it, and capturing the image as is to speak for itself.

For some reason that put a huge amount of pressure on me and I felt limited with the few "props" and lighting opportunities I had available.

This is what I ended up with for the first week.  I can't say that I like it, but I can say I completed the assignment and I learned from it.
38mm, f/7.1, 1/30, ISO-500

I Learned:
1.  That I don't like being pushed (not really a new thing, but it's been a bit since I've felt pushed)
2.  Although we have lots of nice light from the windows all the little panes get in the way for photographing and the winter months mean less time to capture that lighting  after work.
3.  Shoot using multiple depths of field.  I wish I had lengthened my depth of field for this once I looked at it on my computer's screen.

Have you tried something new that surprised you in ways you didn't imagine?



   

4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda - it looks to me like you're doing a great job with your Canon. Gosh, I don't want you to be uncomfortable with this workshop. Please remember that you don't HAVE to shoot exactly what I'm writing about. Take for instance your last image here, your arrangement and composition is superb! You could expand on that same composition and same objects, just try a solid color background next time, maybe a solid colored towel or a white tea towel or even a piece of white posterboard (or any other solid color). I LOVE that composition and your objects! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there is so much to think about! You have such a good eye, though, and there is always something to catch the eye in your photographs! The pancake and candle one is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how differently people approach things. I have NO CLUE how to use my manual settings, so from the perspective of skill level, I'm still an amateur. But I'm loving this class. The push to try new things is exactly what makes it FUN for me - it gives me new ideas of what to photograph and how to set them up. I hope you'll keep trying. Your class photograph is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are wonderful. The class is hard for me, too. I like to take photos of what I like to think of as God's beauty and let His creation speak through my photos!

    ReplyDelete